Metadata Removal Tools
When sharing files, be sure to remove associated metadata. Image files commonly include Exif data. Photos sometimes even include GPS coordinates in the file metadata.
ExifCleaner is a freeware, open-source graphical app that uses ExifTool to remove Exif metadata from images, videos, and PDF documents using a simple drag and drop interface. It supports multi-core batch processing and dark mode.
MAT2 is free software, which allows the metadata to be removed from image, audio, torrent, and document file types. It provides both a command line tool and a graphical user interface via an extension for Nautilus, the default file manager of GNOME, and Dolphin, the default file manager of KDE.
ExifEraser is a modern, permissionless image metadata erasing application for Android.
It currently supports JPEG, PNG and WebP files.
The metadata that is erased depends on the image's file type:
- JPEG: ICC Profile, Exif, Photoshop Image Resources and XMP/ExtendedXMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
- PNG: ICC Profile, Exif and XMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
- WebP: ICC Profile, Exif and XMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
After processing the images, ExifEraser provides you with a full report about what exactly was removed from each image.
The app offers multiple ways to erase metadata from images. Namely:
- You can share an image from another application with ExifEraser.
- Through the app itself, you can select a single image, multiple images at once, or even an entire directory.
- It features a "Camera" option, which uses your operating system's camera app to take a photo, and then it removes the metadata from it.
- It allows you to drag photos from another app into ExifEraser when they are both open in split-screen mode.
- Lastly, it allows you to paste an image from your clipboard.
Metapho is a simple and clean viewer for photo metadata such as date, file name, size, camera model, shutter speed, and location.
Metapho is closed-source, however we recommend it due to the few choices there are for iOS.
ExifTool is the original perl library and command-line application for reading, writing, and editing meta information (Exif, IPTC, XMP, and more) in a wide variety of file formats (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PDF, RAW, and more).
It's often a component of other Exif removal applications and is in most Linux distribution repositories.
Deleting data from a directory of files
exiftool -all= *.file_extension