Data and Metadata Redaction
When sharing files, be sure to remove associated metadata. Image files commonly include Exif data. Photos sometimes even include GPS coordinates in the file metadata.
ExifCleaner is a freeware, open-source graphical app that uses ExifTool to remove Exif metadata from images, videos, and PDF documents using a simple drag and drop interface. It supports multi-core batch processing and dark mode.
MAT2 is free software, which allows the metadata to be removed from image, audio, torrent, and document file types. It provides both a command line tool and a graphical user interface via an extension for Nautilus, the default file manager of GNOME, and Dolphin, the default file manager of KDE.
ExifEraser is a modern, permissionless image metadata erasing application for Android.
It currently supports JPEG, PNG and WebP files.
The metadata that is erased depends on the image's file type:
- JPEG: ICC Profile, Exif, Photoshop Image Resources and XMP/ExtendedXMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
- PNG: ICC Profile, Exif and XMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
- WebP: ICC Profile, Exif and XMP metadata will be erased if it exists.
After processing the images, ExifEraser provides you with a full report about what exactly was removed from each image.
The app offers multiple ways to erase metadata from images. Namely:
- You can share an image from another application with ExifEraser.
- Through the app itself, you can select a single image, multiple images at once, or even an entire directory.
- It features a "Camera" option, which uses your operating system's camera app to take a photo, and then it removes the metadata from it.
- It allows you to drag photos from another app into ExifEraser when they are both open in split-screen mode.
- Lastly, it allows you to paste an image from your clipboard.
Metapho is a simple and clean viewer for photo metadata such as date, file name, size, camera model, shutter speed, and location.
PrivacyBlur is a free app which can blur sensitive portions of pictures before sharing them online.
ExifTool is the original perl library and command-line application for reading, writing, and editing meta information (Exif, IPTC, XMP, and more) in a wide variety of file formats (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PDF, RAW, and more).
It's often a component of other Exif removal applications and is in most Linux distribution repositories.
Deleting data from a directory of files
exiftool -all= *.file_extension